Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Previous Posts

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The New MSN AdCenter

I was able to create an account in the new MSN AdCenter. I really like the user interface. They put the important stuff in front of you, hiding the more advanced features unless you want to see them. This is in sharp contrast to Overture, which I always felt exposed people to a really complex set of pages for setting up campaigns and creating ads. That was great for experienced ad campaign managers, but not so great for small business, individuals, and new users.

The minimum bid appears to be $0.05, which is what it was on Google about a year ago before they increased to $0.10. This will help get advertisers in and using the system, and then they can clean it up later. Not ideal but they do need to get to critical mass of advertisers in order to have not only ad revenue, but a worthwhile ad marketplace for advertisers and publishers who want to syndicate the ads out onto their sites.

Two things I dislike so far. First, AdCenter often causes my browser to hang. You can see that the system is running on IIS/ASP and perhaps there is something about the way it is coded that causes this to happen. The annoying part is you get in and create a campaign, but then when you try to go to the keywords screen, it will hang and you have to start over. I was able to get past this after trying a few times.

Second, the ad approval time is unclear. Google approves ads instantly and then goes back and dis-approves them if they are bad. MSN works more like Overture in that they control the ad approvals up front.

But so far, it looks good. The ad prices are within reason; you can still find some terms that are under-valued for some products, although it will really depend on what the conversion rates are off MSN's traffic.

Stay tuned!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mariano Iglesias said...

Have you tried the web owner side of AdCenter? I have not, that's why I'm asking. I am far more interested in the content relevance, since google's ad relevance is getting worst by the day. Some months ago the banners google inserted on my sites where closely related to the content. Now, it seems that 9 out of 10 times they just figure out it's a blog, so they put blog ads. It's really annoying, to the point that I'm considering taking adsense out of my page.

The most important thing for me was not only to have a small yet helpful income, but to offer my visitors something that was related to what my sites discuss. Now, they are almost like TV ads: completely useless. Hope AdCenter can do what google did at first, and doesn't do anymore.

July 12, 2006 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home